PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2022, 15:29
ChrissyPrezzie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 0sprey
For sure mate. Put simply, the interview format was 3 parts:

1:
I was interviewed by one lady from HR and another from FlightOps. HR lady started out with the standard questions i.e. introduce yourself, why do you want to be a pilot, name me one example you showed leadership etc etc. After that was out of the way, HR lady also asked a few more personal questions that they conceived from reading my cover letter, so be prepared to elaborate on things you may have said in yours.
> Questions that they may ask:
  1. What would be the biggest challenge to you personally throughout the programme?
  2. ​​​​What ties to aviation do you have?
2:
Then FlightOps lady came in and posed some non-routine scenarios, to which I had to just simply tell them what I would do. I don't think they were trying to test my technical knowledge, but rather sort of get a grasp of what my character is and how I would react in certain situations. I think the only advice I can give here is don't hesitate, and just say what you think is right once you've settled on how you wanna respond. Of course, there were also some basic technical questions that you should be able to answer if you're seriously considering the job.
> Questions that they may ask:
  1. If you were a co-pilot, and the Captain wants to attempt a crosswind landing above the rated limit of an aircraft, what would you do?
  2. What is the standard flight level?
3:
After FlightOps was finished, HR lady came in again and asked some final housekeeping questions like when can you start, do you need financial assistance, etc etc. wrapped up with a Q & A at the end.

The whole interview took around 50 minutes. For me, what helped immensely was just spending a whole weekend preparing for the interview by drafting a list of questions that I thought Cathay would ask, and then developed my corresponding answers so that I could speak from the heart and not from memory. I also slipped in tidbits of relevant information/facts that highlighted certain things about me that I thought would set me apart, which I also reckon helped.

Overall, it was a painless experience because I approached it like a coupla mates talking about something we all share a passion about, rather than a very formal "me" vs. "you". Of course, you should still answer questions seriously, but just be yourself and anyone can do great
Of course it was a painless experience. It has to be. They had to go easy on you and everybody else just to make up the number. That is recruiting 101. Try to read some of the past posts on this thread, you will be AMAZED how easy it is now than before. Talking about standard? Standard has left the building years ago. #Racingtothebottom