PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2004, 07:57
Blacksheep
Cunning Artificer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Blow Jobs...

I spent my last Friday at Waddington operating a snow-blow on the runway. They were generally shoved along by a fuel bowser - a nice touch that - you couldn't use running out of fuel as an excuse for packing in for the day. You had to be careful with those engines too, they had no surge protection or anything like that and they were all well clapped out. If you got too enthusiastic in revving them up you got a series of loud bangs and some impressive flames and stuff. You would also be treaterd to the sight of a supersonic bowser driver practicing for the 400 yards dash in the next olympics. If you opened it up too far the bowser slewed all over the place, if you didn't give it enough welly you just melted the snow which then froze into solid black ice. Very tricky was snow blowing - like the other kind of blow job, you needed a fine touch to get the revs just right and then keep at it nice and steady until you're done.

On Monday I flew out of Lyneham and on Tuesday morning I was dragging 30 kilos of kit half a mile from Changi arrivals hall to the transit billets - no transport for single airmen in those days of course. That was some introduction to the tropics, I'll say. Instant acclimatisation. What?

Through difficulties to the cinema