PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using wx radar in Class E to help detect bogies.
Old 8th Jan 2004, 07:03
ITCZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S-Tonka asks: Not below A100 until 30NM? What are you flying?

Class E starts at 30NM but goes up to FL185 anyway - are you going to hold Fl185 until 30NM (straight in)?

A 146, mate. A click on my profile could have told u that.

So why would i not be A100 or better with 30nm to run, especially if I am descending through E?

FL185 at 30nm? You know, it could be done, but it wouldn't be pretty. More to the point, it wouldn't be any more safe from a conflict point of view.

Lets face it. We don't like Class E. The bit we don't like the most is Class E below A100.

The real risk is not a 'stealth' Metro 3 or C421, etc. Anybody driving an aeroplane that is pressurised hopefully has enough experience that turning on the txdr entering a departure runway is almost automatic, you know "strobes, txdr, entering/backtracking call".
The real risk is below transition, where the recreational pilot now 'owns' the airspace.

Farting around tilting Wx radar to spot bogies between F185 and A100 is a distraction. Might as well be twiddling another knob.

(note to self: posts much shorter without gin + tonic primers!)

Last edited by ITCZ; 8th Jan 2004 at 07:17.