PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Display experience
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2022, 09:15
NickB

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I remember the Buccaneer display at Culdrose in 1984 (I think) quite clearly... the weather was overcast with low cloud (usually the way in Cornwall, especially for Culdrose airdays!), but flying continued. The display pilot will remain un-named (DS - he later went on to qualify as a TP and flying historics out of Duxford and other places and probably still does) went up and started to put on a flat, LL display. At some point, something went a bit wrong and he appeared very low, pulling hard right from behind the tall fir trees that used to be next to viewing enclosure. From crowd right to left, still pulling hard, trying to get on to the display line which he missed, he came right over the crowd, narrowly missed the old ATC tower (or so it seemed - he was v. low after all) and kept going. Overhead, vortices whished and whooshed and he left quite breeze blowing around the amazed crowds. Terrific stuff!
I've often wondered if he remembers that display, but not had the opportunity to ask him!

Last edited by NickB; 25th Oct 2022 at 09:43.