PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air A330 off runway in Phillipines
Old 25th Oct 2022, 07:38
rock-the-boat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm often surprised by the lack of empathy when topics such as this make their way onto the forum. I wonder if it's a matter of psychological relief, knowing statistically accidents will happen and that it was not to “me” that it happened? Could it be a deluded belief that there are no circumstances that provide a degree of complexity where I would run out of ideas before I run out of fuel?

There is no empirical evidence to show that this crew was less well trained or less competent than any contributor to this forum. Until we understand the complexity of the situation that this crew faced perhaps we should leave it at that.

I wonder if anybody understands what this crew is facing not just today or this week but potentially for the remainder of their lives. It is not surprising that most may not understand. These may have the luxury of an ”oops I'm sorry” if they found themselves in a similar situation. Comfortable in the knowledge that they would be cocooned by those who are concerned about their mental well-being, would be represented by those standing up for their employment rights, be defended by those who would stand up to the authorities for them, there would be those who would defend against cruelty from the press, and there would be those who stood in the community understanding that they did everything in their power to avert an accident but in spite of this an accident occurred.

What might it feel like to become the symbol of national shame, what would it feel like to be the individuals who let the company down, what must it feel like to be the people who spurred on the cruel assumptions about the competence of your fellow nationals, what might it feel like to let your family down, no longer able to look up to you in a position held in high esteem by society

It is the greatest failing of CRM that there are still those who believe that it is only the "other" who is subject to overload, and it is only the self who in the absence of any evidence is able to draw a reliable conclusion, is able to cast aspersions, and is fully in their right to demonstrate one of the core characteristics of a psychopathy; zero empathy.

Oops, if I offended you, I'm sorry.