PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China recruits former British military pilots
Old 23rd Oct 2022, 15:27
mopardave

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
Did you note the section in brackets that you quoted? The clue to my true sentiments lies there. Of course I know that non-aircrew can earn a fortune as well. If you had to work out a percentage of ex-military folks that can easily walk in to jobs with high 6-figure salaries you might find the pie chart has a large wedge made up of pilots though.

My last job in the RAF involved living on a joint compound with OF2/3 families from Army, Navy and RAF. Trust me when I say jealousy, envy, scorn and downright nastiness towards aircrew from the non-aircrew fraternity was alive and kicking. Call it what you like but I know how it made me feel. It is no accident that it became my last posting in uniform.

I’ve been quiet for a few days on this thread and have conducted a little more research. Whilst I won’t go so far as to brand people traitors I have had my view confirmed that I was right to not investigate jobs in China any further.

I still maintain that, rather than conducting a witch hunt against those that did go, we should take a long hard look at the root cause. What industry or company in the world would let expensively trained and very hard to replace personnel leave for the sake of a relative pittance? No military pilot expects to earn £250,000 after tax for a UK based job, but they are all very aware that they can make a hell of a lot more than £40-50,000 after tax. In these troubled times they may even feel like they owe it to their families future prosperity to at least see what is out there. But I do agree (as I personally decided when presented with the opportunity) that China is a step too far.

BV
Bob......I don't know you personally but your posts are always informative and balanced. For some reason, I'd have been most surprised if you had gotten involved in anything that has an unpleasant whiff about it. Not sure how these guys will look their mates in the eye if they ever bump into them? A gangs a gang. As for the eroding of conditions of service and real terms salaries, our leaders are world class when it comes to kicking people in the nuts. I was over the moon when my son decided to leave the army back in 2010.....they didn't deserve him. He, on the other hand was so disappointed that his future was very much in the balance in the army. Best thing HE ever did! They should be ashamed...........both politicians and the VSO's who just keep saying yes to them.

Last edited by mopardave; 23rd Oct 2022 at 15:34. Reason: addition