PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big day
Thread: Big day
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2022, 15:18
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Congratulations badgermat

Time to solo is IMO a pretty useless metric in the context of PPL training. Time to complete the course and the total score on the PPL flight test are what matters. As I progressed in my instructional career my students time to solo went up but the average time to PPL went down substantially and flight test scores improved markedly. This was because I got better at teaching the fundamental maneuvers A & M , S & L, turns, climbs and descents. I also understood the extreme importance of ensuring the student had mastered those fundamentals before added more advanced air exercises. The extra pre solo time paid off as my students did not have to spend a lot of time in the circuit before I could kick them loose and the rest of the course usually went pretty fast as they had those solid fundamentals to build on

I was the schools senior instructor when I finished working as a full time instructor. As such I was assigned the "problem" students. The problem was usually they couldn't land, however almost invariably the problem was not that they couldn't land, it was they couldn't fly and I had to go back and reteach the foundation maneuvers,