PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 incident - Houma
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2022, 14:59
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
Armchair aviating on my part just speculating in a nice quiet living room that isn’t emitting smoke and trying to kill me in a new and unexpected manner.
If as you say the crew had known what the heck going on would not using both ECLs to reduce Rotor RPM to say 90% have bypassed/ / overridden the ECL brought the N1 / torque to a lower level and allowed a descent? The rotor system is locked at a fixed pitch so the only way to control torque would be to increase or decrease rotor RPM.

As a very good instructor once told me: “Training will, hopefully, lead to point at which you will be disappointed but not surprised when this thing fails you!”

The electrical fire, heavy smoke, loss of systems, coupled with the ineffective collective in a position not in agreement with high engine power would surprise anyone
. Troubleshooting something like that would not be easy even if you could “Freeze game” and talk about it. Trying to do it in a rapidly changing scenario would be difficult. Also the though, give the high engine power demands outside of limits, of one or both of them quitting before you could get the darned thing on the ground must have crossed their minds, leading to a certain sense of urgency.

I am sure that someone, somewhere is in a sim with the collective on the upstop commanding full “Blowaway Power” trying to get the aircraft on the ground. After a couple of hours, multiple attempts, coupled with frequent illumination of the “Red Screen of Death” a method will be found. This will be followed by a post stating “All they had to do was ……!”. No mention of the numerous failed attempts will be made.

QUOTE=Torquetalk;11318386]with the collective inop, an extra arm would be “free“, the ECLs could be moved individually to reduce power. But that assumes you know what the * is going on. The combination of smoke, resistance in the collective and uncommanded excess torque would be really distracting. Coping with this event right seat SP?

Be interesting to see what screen information was available to the crew. Sounds like they had at least some, presumably from the unaffected busses. If the ESS busses were affected by an electrical fire, could the EECs have been receiving errant signals which led to governor runaway?

What a horrible event. Hats off to the crew for getting it down.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by albatross; 23rd Oct 2022 at 15:25.