PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 incident - Houma
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2022, 05:09
malabo

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
So chafing, fire, collective tube in ceiling compromised. Not sure why the low rotor rpm at that point, both engines at 145% as the EEC/PMA tries to keep the NR at 100%. Both engines running, but the MR pitch setting, normally controlled by collective, has found its own resting spot requiring high power and causing a climb. Not sure from the photos or description how much control or effect the pilots holding the collective down had, or if the tube above them just twisted a little more. To come down the pilots have the option of airspeed, point the nose down and combined with the high pitch setting the aircraft goes to 186 knots, heading for retreating blade stall territory. Or, put an engine to idle and droop the NR down below 80% and the loss of rotor efficiency allows them to descend. They don't want to stall the main rotor so they have to keep flicking the knob from idle to fly to regain some NR. Can't autorotate if you don't have a collective and the with the mast controls stuck on high pitch they are going to have to fly it on controlling NR with the off/idle/fly knob and use cyclic pitch to flare and arrest their descent. Can't see any advantage to dicking with the ECL's on the ceiling.

Noooby, I got this right? That was some heads up flying by the crew, tossing a window to clear the smoke and the thinking outside the box to get back to the ground. I think I'll torture some candidates at the next sim session.

Last edited by malabo; 23rd Oct 2022 at 05:20.