PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Name that Flying Machine
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2022, 16:24
Asturias56

Received 364 Likes on 213 Posts
For the record meleagertoo is correct - I had a bad moment when I realised I'd left in the Portuguese flag but it was so small.......

It was, I believe, the First Portuguese designed and constructed aircraft. They'd built a lot of stuff under Licence before but nothing indigenous

First Portuguese Airplane: A Flying-Boat Glider―1934

On February 1st 1934 Joe Walter presented a gliding section creation proposal where it was included the flight report study and the flight graph of the flying-boat glider of Eng. Artur Varela Cid, the first designed and constructed in Portugal (construction finished in 29 September 1932) with its first maiden flight on January 4th 1934. This flying-boat glider was named “Portugal” and presently can be found at the Air Museum of OGMA, Oficinas Gerais de Material Aeronáutico (The General Aeronautical Material Workshops) at Alverca, Portugal. Few months later still in 1934, in a lecture at Society of Geography at Lisbon, Professor Varela Cid advocates the creation of Non-Pow- ered Flight Schools, where gliders construction would be included and where rigorous theoretical training would be given.