PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on latest conditions BA, QR, ABB, EK, Sunclass
Old 22nd Oct 2022, 07:51
AIMINGHIGH123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eckhard
Historical examples should be used with caution to try and predict a future career-path, as circumstances are so dynamic; e.g. the general state of the economy, management policy, fleet size, not to mention "events, dear boy" such as war, COVID, 9/11, etc.

For what it's worth, here are the paths taken by four BA pilots who joined as DEPs in 1997 (all timings approx):

1. P2 744 / 6 mths / P1 737 LGW / 2 yrs / Trg Capt 737 / 5 yrs / Trg Capt A320 LHR / 12 yrs / Trg Capt 787
2. P2 744 / 12 yrs / P2 777 / 7 yrs / P1 777
3. P2 744 / 19 yrs / P1 787
4. P2 744 / 14 yrs / P1 A320 / 4 yrs / P1 787

So, 20 yrs to a LH command seems about right.

As far as salaries go, I think BALPA publishes the scales, but in 2020, LH P1 after 22 years was a basic of £177k with about £20k allowances on top, all gross before tax.
This is a good reason to go BA. Depending on age. Late 40s maybe not but everyone circumstances different.
Look at those 4 pilots routes. 2 stayed LH but other 2 maybe wanted to try SH, something different, different aircraft as well. RYR or Wizz SH for 20,30,40 years? No way. Ok you can get into training but that’s it really.
All the extras do add up. Even if you’re not getting it in salary holidays away could easily save few£k a year with a family. Hotels paid for, medicals etc etc. Ok some people might be happy SH whole career, J2,RYR,Wizz etc offer that.
If it’s £££££ then yeah EK or QR seem to be the choice of many from what I see and speak to. With the pound at the moment and taking housing allowance at EK I know guys pushing £11k a month as FOs at EK. Night flights kill them but they see it as short term no longer than 10 years then leave. Have to be disciplined that way though. Start going out buying F150s, M3, AMGs etc and the plan won’t work. Subject to change but EK used to have a rule if you did 15 years you got flights free for life. Met a couple guys who stayed just for that!! Still after all that come back you need a plan. Either get out of aviation if you have a plan or you’re back to Wizz,J2,RYR if lucky DHL or similar.

BA is career airline. IMO