PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2022, 01:34
43Inches

Received 419 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnadenburg
An Aussie holidaying in QT probably doesn’t realise that come a jet boat or skiing accident, medical care would be better in metro- Manilla. Not going to argue with you and your creative scenarios as I know both places very well. QT is loaded with high-net worth Aussies avoiding tax on their foreign businesses. I take the piss out of them, exposing themselves and family to Third World medical risk for dollars they can well afford not to have.
The argument is not whether the care is available there, but what time frame it would arrive. As long as there is a good paramedic service with fast transit via air service to a major hospital you will be a lot better off. No country has perfect hospitals designed for major trauma in every town, but having fast access to first aid, stabilising treatment, followed by quick transit to the required treatment is key. QT is not really comparable, you have many options available for quick evac. Get sick in somewhere like Fiji, and your closest decent hospital is in Australia or New Zealand, and the local paramedics (if they even have them) and hospitals are haphazard to stabilise you at best.

The paramedic/ambulance service is another thing that you would have to add in, no point having the best hospital if you have to get yourself there in an emergency. Reminds me of the woman in Bairnsdale that had her whole face ripped off by a milking machine that grabbed her hair, fast paramedic attendance and rapid transit to Melbourne meant she survived and had her face reattached.

I mean you could argue all the billionaires living in Portsea in Victoria are miles from hospital access, except that a paramedic will attend in minutes and then helicopter have them in the city in mere minutes.

At least Phillipines has a single emergency number now which is only about 5 years old using 911. Even then it's recommended you have the number of a local private ambulance provider for timely attendance.

Last edited by 43Inches; 22nd Oct 2022 at 01:55.