PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2022, 15:52
TCAS FAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the current speculation as to whether or not the runway extension work has commenced, I offer the following observations, and one suggestion.

While there may be some preparatory work in progress, the planning and execution of the project is strictly regulated by a CAA aerodrome development process, as set out in CAP 791.

As a runway extension is classified IAW CAP 791 as a “major” development there are multiple regulatory hoops through which AGS must negotiate, and pay the CAA for the privilege of doing so!

First hoop, before any work can commence, is CAA approval of the overall project planning and execution plan.

The CAA are not renowned for their speed of work, so hopefully the CAP 791 process has already been commenced by AGS.

Part of the planning process is recognition of the impact that the construction work will have on any aircraft movements, and putting in place mitigation measures to ensure that they can safely continue.

An overview of the project, its scheduling and its temporary impact on aircraft movements will be most likely be set out in a UK AIP Supplement, which itself may have short term issues highlighted or notified via NOTAM as the project progresses.

When the AIP Supplement is published it can be accessed online via:

https://nats-uk.ead-it.com/cms-nats/...p-supplements/

AIP Supplements are published every 28 days. As of today nothing is currently shown. The next batch of Supplements are due for publication on 17 November.

Quite apart from the formal notification of the date that work will commence, I would think that the AGS media organisation will not miss the opportunity to have some symbolic turf cutting ceremony. or similar, immediately before construction starts.

My suggestion? Maybe the BOH Airport Managing Director could be invited to do it?