PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS, it gets better.
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2022, 06:17
Australopithecus

Received 82 Likes on 38 Posts
The prior discussion started when someone called QF pilots clowns for blinding other traffic with wing inspection lights. (And for that matter aiming taxi lights at opposing traffic while at the holding point)

Yes, the use of wing inspection lights is mandatory, and yes, we all comply. It is possible to be in complete compliance and a complete knob concurrently as I am sure you are aware.

With regard to position lights: For some reason it seems to be an Australian trait to cling to dumb ideas learned in GA, such as not using the navigation lights in daylight, despite them being required for IFR flight. As a result you often see, as I have previously mentioned, QF aircraft without wing tip lights illuminated. Until such time as a hapless observer has been blinded by the wing lights he or she may not be instantly aware of conflicting ramp traffic passing in front.

I have seen aircraft pushing back on a dark cargo ramp with just a beacon which is an underwriter’s (and headline writer's) dream.