PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China recruits former British military pilots
Old 20th Oct 2022, 14:14
Lonewolf_50

Received 452 Likes on 285 Posts
Originally Posted by Low average
I hope the governments of the free world quickly develop a strategy for extricating us from Chinese influence before its too late and our children pay the price. t needs to happen NOW...not tomorrow. It will be painful, but necessary to prevent greater suffering down the road.
I've been saying that since the early 90's, but I think the political position was "the money's too good!' (short term thinking, yet again).
I find the actions of those ex-military pilots very difficult to justify.
Not sure how many Americans may also be involved (my guess is that the number is greater than one) but I have mixed feelings about this. "The money's too good!" seems to be the theme, yes?

Insofar as the charge of "mercenaries" being bandied about in this thread:
Over the past two decades no few of my associates, ex-mil, both rotary and fixed wing, hired out to contractors doing various sorts of operations in active war zones (Iraq and Afghanistan in the main).
This includes a couple of guys I know who were employed by the infamous/notorious "dark fluid" company.
In each case where I got a chance to talk with them, their observation to me (after they'd spent a few years and decided to move on while still breathing) was
"Great money, high risk"
I realize that these situations are not identical, but there are some similarities.
Given my long term distaste for the regime in China, I'd hope that folks would not support them.

As to the canary in the coal mine: wasn't the Huawei 5G thing a wake up call for some governments?