PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2004, 02:40
Samuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forget; I guess that's why they built the airfield where they did. There is a shot around here somewhere of the Vulcan that very nearly made Wellington Airport its permanent home, but for some brilliant driving! While Wellington can be closed to civil flying, that never applied to the RNZAF, and I can tell you that my faith in pilots was never more tested when I saw the piano keys sideways in an Andover which miraculously straightened out for a firm kerthump! I'd hesitate to call it a landing.

I think you're spot on with the humour in the V-force, though I can only speak from my two years at Cottesmore. The general athmosphere and morale seemed, to this humble SAC, as being very good, and certainly you had to laugh a lot. When I was bored on shift days off, I used to offer my services to the MT section, and often spent time around ASF taking bits of various Victors to Handley Page at Radlett. That led to one of the funniest exchanges ever between myself and a Chief Tech who knew me, and the loading of a Victor Powered Flying Control unit which I suggested I was to deliver to a museum at Newark. I guess you had to be there, but the confusion was something else.

There was also that snow-clearing Meteor engine on a bomb-trolley, which successfully turned snow into sheet-ice, thus providing we who were parked in isolation at the end of the runway [the early Victors had fairly frequent brake fires] with endless enetertainment from various vehicles sliding off onto the grass.