PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electric Airplane Developments
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2022, 01:28
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
I am not knowledgeable enough about extraction and production to be able to compare between producing and storing power as fossil fuel origin, vs electric and batteries. I have done certification work on electric airplane projects, and from that, I know that they are not terribly practical by the standard of fuel from fossil sources. But, we pilots are not a shining example of "green transport". For myself, I estimated a few years back, that I have probably, personally burned about 330,000 liters of aviation fuel during my career as a pilot and owner. Generally, members of society who are not involved in aviation (most people) are at best interested in airplanes, but unlikely to rise to defend we pilot's hobby aviation. Commercial transport, some, rich kid's hobby, not much.

So, despite the present impracticality of electric airplanes for most applications, we pilot's should be seen to support the initiatives. Anything we can support which advances electric puts us on the better side of public opinion. None of any of this is pointed toward awesome, at best it's pointed toward "we'll tolerate you burning some fuel while electric aviation becomes practical". Pointing out what are possible negative realities about production and storage of electricity, as factual as it might be, still puts we pilot on the wrong side of society's trend. It'll be best if we look like we're encouraging electric aviation wherever we can...