PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China recruits former British military pilots
Old 19th Oct 2022, 10:14
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bob, As I have said before here - I enjoy your posts because you challenge the views of 'old farts' without resorting to insults. However your comment about sitting in our mortgage free nice houses does need challenging. You do not know our back stories but just assume, like so many younger people, that we were 'born with silver spoons in our mouths' and everything else just fell into our laps.

I do live in a lovely house with no mortgage and a Volvo V70 parked in my drive ( no German car for me - too uncomfortable! ) . My back story - 15 years in a SW London slum waiting for a council house ( my parents were on the waiting list for 18 years ), then after 4 years I was lucky enough to be commissioned in the RAF, which completely changed my life. No Gap Year, only one holiday to boast about before my children grew up, with mortgage rates up to 15% and never lower than 8% until the final years of my mortgage c2000. I paid a mortgage from 1970 until 2006 and at last feel I have a comfortable existence without one.

As for going to China - what would worry me the most is 'What if the s**t hits the fan?'. I can't see the Chinese letting them return home if things blow up with Taiwan, and yes I do think they are wrong to go.