PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Recertification Testing - Finally.
Old 19th Oct 2022, 04:37
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by John Marsh
Captain Sullenberger opposes an extension to the equipment exemption. From Simple Flying article:
Does it follow that we ground all other RPT jet transports until there are no birds in the air that our planes can fly into and result in multiple failures and shock/surprise to the crew? That is as logical an extension as the grounding of the other B737s or not proceeding with the Max 7 and 10.
Sully makes the case that enhanced crew alerting is essentially a bandaid. It is odd, that the mess of alerts and distractions in Sully's cockpit are greater than they would have been in a B737. Enhanced alerting functions provide some benefits in some cases, not all, and can also act as a distraction. I contend (and I am no fan of Boeing as a company) that forcing a change that would by necessity be rushed is not an overall improvement to aviations safety.

For a fair position, Sully should try the same event in a geriatric B737NG, and record the distractions. I fly both types, Boeing and Airbus, and cannot see an overriding justification to the position that seems to be developing at all levels. By all means make things better, but do it for the right reasons and in a logical manner to come up with real enhancements.

We have a set of rules for all of aviation, and the number of bandaids that sit on top of bandaids is an endemic, and systemic frustration.