PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New captain in EU LLC, -> FO Qatar or Emirates?
Old 18th Oct 2022, 06:12
flyTheBigFatLady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lacog
@dirk85 you forgot to mention the largest one

​​​​​​To my understanding working for EK you can go home 1-2 times per year while working for QR you can go home every month or two. Dubai more fun etc
regarding EK, do i get it correct or they also do give 4-6 days in a row off per month so i can go home/relax with family?
And if yes, do they allow to split anual leave in small blocks or not?

i love dubai but i dont know if they give you many days off per month in a row .

PS my home is like 5h away from dubai. Commuting while working in LLC takes me way more than 5h and still not burnt out.
QR - I don’t know

EK - you won’t get small chunks get granted
you will get 2 small junks granted and this your annual leave than.
you can not attach off days to your leave - you can put it into the system put will be removed by manual roaster intervention.
EK also frequently uses off days of your request as legal off days to a ULR which require acclimatization - this interferes your return to base - in other words if you are 5h away from Dxb 5 off days become effectively only 2,5 to 3 depending how you manage to catch the flights.
max bid for of days is 5 in a row, granted usually only in top or second top bid. EK has six bid groups so you are only every 6 month in either group. So go and figure how many times you will get your request.

lastly there should be mentioned the reserve month, which is effectually 5 weeks in a row where you go nowhere except to your residence, as every day at 6pm the roaster change for next day or 2 will be published. Sometimes hard to have a beer in those days.
Not to mention that a reserve day during that month can change into a sim support, which easily happens, when training demand is exceptional high, and exact this sim support can change your career entirely, because if the guy you support fails, it brings your progress in jeopardy.

again - forget commuting

Last edited by flyTheBigFatLady; 18th Oct 2022 at 07:28.