PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New captain in EU LLC, -> FO Qatar or Emirates?
Old 17th Oct 2022, 14:09
FREQUENTFLYER1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going home from the Middle East is a pain. Most flights are slammed and have undesirable departure times, if you run from an operating duty to get to the terminal to catch a 2am departure home you’ll be absolutely tired out. Worried about getting back for your next report is also very tiring.

Moving to the ME and thinking about going home all the time will be the end of you.

Don’t get me wrong, The money is nice, if you don’t get caught up in the lifestyle creep then it is possible to save a lot of money despite what some people will tell you on here, but you need to look past the headline figure as you’ll be renting or in company accommodation so won’t be buying a home like you could back in Europe. You also may not be contributing to any state pension/company pension and could get a reduced payout in retirement, so it falls on you to make those preparations from your salary.

The mix of destinations and associated layovers is a big plus and I miss it dearly now being a freight dog doing laps of the world with lots of stops in China!

It’s your decision to make but basing it on a guarantee of 6 days off in a row and tacking it on to leave to go home is a very bad idea.