PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADHD/ASD and CASA medicals
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2022, 06:55
Clare Prop

Received 241 Likes on 111 Posts
As I've mentioned earlier on this thread. some of my best students have been on the spectrum.

Whenever I have seen any of the behaviours described on the form it has been the "pushy dad" syndrome where dad decides little Johnny, usually at the age of around 13, is going to be a pilot and little Johnny is dragged to flying lessons in which he is NOT INTERESTED and plays up on purpose..

I have yet to have a student excessively climbing unless practising short field take offs with obstacles. I presume that is what they mean?

CASA would have grounded Neil Armstrong who seemed to have many AS traits, which is why he was able to achieve what he did. (I'm not going to use the D as it is not a "disorder" except in the minds of people who are uncomfortable being in the company of highly intelligent people who may or may not be a little eccentric)

I now have to tell people now (usually the pushy parents) that if Johnny is on any kind of mind altering medication (just because his personality doesn't fit their expectations) then he is unlikely to get a medical, as that form is a legal minefield.