PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADHD/ASD and CASA medicals
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2022, 22:25
Clinton McKenzie

Received 255 Likes on 125 Posts
I wonder what medical condition someone has when he or she is unable to admit to doing something completely inappropriate – even unlawful - and instead goes to extraordinary lengths in an attempt to cover up what was inappropriately or unlawfully done. Whatever condition it is, CASA seems to have an uncanny ability to employ people with that condition in Avmed these days.

So the sick ‘joke’ has been ‘magicked’ out of the form. That’s one small step in the right direction.

But naturally there’s no commentary on the CASA website as to why the form was changed nor any public ‘traceability’ of what changes were made and when. Move on, nothing to see here (and hopefully we’ll fool people that there was nothing ever to be seen). But…

Let’s set aside – for a moment – the issues arising from unqualified people being asked to do an “examination” of someone for medical purposes – note that the instructor is declaring – on pain of criminal liability – that, among other things, “[t]his report embodies my examination correctly” [italics added].

Let’s also ignore – for a moment – that the subjects of the “examination” would have some considerable difficulty in meeting the competence standards of the licence being sought, as a consequence of some of the behaviours the unqualified person is looking for and reporting on.

The form is still a piece of crap that is evidently based on some else’s professionally produced questionnaire intended for a different context but modified by Avmed, based on Avmed’s bright ideas. I’ll bet folding money that whoever produced the original questionnaire would be appalled at the context in which it is now being used by Avmed. (And of course it’s OK to ignore the laws of IP when pursuing the noble cause of aviation safety.)

“This form is to be completed by the applicants flight instructor or lecturer…”. Oh dear. Someone in Avmed must have been running about or climbing excessively rather than concentrating when possessive apostrophes were being taught.

The instructor is to look for and report on behaviours such as the applicant being “inpatient waiting for take-off”. Oh dear. Someone in Avmed must have been running about or climbing excessively rather concentrating when prefixes and dictionaries were being taught. (Maybe “inpatient” is a Freudian slip. But I’m not qualified to diagnose such things.)

And when competent people with good attention spans start a list with: “I declare that:”, each thing on the list finishes a sentence that starts with those words. But here we have: “I declare that…I hereby certify…”. “I declare that … I consent…”. “I declare that … I acknowledge…”. This is the work of someone who is failing to pay close attention to details. I declare that I hereby certify that I consent to and acknowledge that I’m … not sure what I’m doing. But I do know that I’m committing an offence if whatever I’m doing is … whatever.

Apparently the ‘applicant’ is a pilot or air traffic controller applying for a CASA Medical Certificate. But question 1 has been drafted on the basis that the applicant could be a “Legal entity”. I’m not aware of any company being a pilot or an air traffic controller. Perhaps Avmed now issues medical certificates to corporate entities?

This is the product of the solemn deliberations of people – paid lots of money - who actually believe they’re contributing positively to the safety air navigation. But for this form, the skies would be filled with pilots, and ATC centres would be filled with controllers, who:

Fail to give close attention to details or make mistakes in theory lessons, school work, work, pre-flight preparations, in flight instruction or other activities

Have difficulty sustaining attention in theory lessons, in-fight instruction, tasks or play activities

Do not seem to listen when asked questions in theory lessons, in-flight instruction or when spoken to directly

Have difficulty prioritising tasks or activities eg. During pre-flight preparation

Inappropriately organise cockpit tasks

Often lose things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools)

Misplace or leave behind items eg. headsets, slide rules, maps, flight plans.

Forget to replace fuel caps, pitot tubes etc.
[I’ve never replaced a pitot tube. Hmmm, maybe I have ADHD.]

Do not follow through on instructions given.

Have difficulty completing lessons.

Do not pay attention to or follow through or complete checklists or tasks appropriately.

You couldn’t make this stuff up.