PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Kerch Bridge Thread
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2022, 17:25
WB627

Received 52 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MechEngr
Perhaps - the truck bomb example from molfar said it would have to be non-hazardous and then repeats reports that it was film reels.

How many recall that old movie film was made of nitrocellulose compounded to make celluloid? It's possible someone figured out a way to convert or enhance the highly flammable film into an explosive.
I not only knew about old movie film being made out of celluloid but I also had a vague recollection of a connection to an explosive, this being the benefits of a miss spent youth! So at the risk of a visit from MI5, I did some research and the answer is....

Gun cotton

The power of guncotton made it suitable for blasting. As a projectile driver, it had around six times the gas generation of an equal volume of black powder and produced less smoke and less heating.
And gun cotton is one of the principle ingredients of Gelignite

It is all coming back to me

I have no idea how that could be related to the Kerch Bridge explosion, unless someone over there is lot better at chemistry than me

During my research I also came across this, something that I was also vaguely aware of....

Once Upon a Time, Exploding Billiard Balls Were An Everyday Thing

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ing-180962751/
So for those of you playing with your vintage balls, please do take care