PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Display experience
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2022, 09:45
JEM60

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I remember the Brands Hatch Harrier very well. I was at Clearways, not far from it's pad. The pilot was David [or was it Dudley?] Carvell [ex Red Arrows I believe]. My memory is that he completed his display, blowing programmes and hats all over South Bank, then disappeared... He returned two minutes later from my right at Huge speed, as said below the level of the control tower, then a 90 degree right turn with massive 'G' slipstream etc. and it was this pass that caused all the paddock problems, including a pole going through, I think, the Tyrell transporter. Autosport described this pass as 'If you hadn't started smoking yet, now was the time to start.' The reporter was hugely impressed!. The pad was on the grass near Clearways, and during the race, Eddie Cheever had brake problems entering South Bank bend [it may have been called Surtees bend by then] and Cheever stopped not too far away from going underneath the Harrier. Seen many displays. This one was certainly in the top five that I had seen.