PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Cleaning
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2004, 20:56
JONSV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the captain has to go back and muck in on a mere 25 min turnaround to facilitate CRM and learn about all the "funny noises" that cabin crew have heard then it sounds to me like his operator is putting commercial needs above that of safety.

There should always be time and the intercom should always be open for the crew to discuss ANY problems they feel may be present at all times other than those critical stages of flight.

If we are about to depart and the crew have CRM type things to share which are of some perceived importance to anyone, then the flight must be delayed to take account of these concerns. What with shutdown checks, paperwork, walkarounds, system setup and pre-departure checks, a decent departure brief, more paperwork and with all this to be done a couple of minutes before push in order for the ground crew to fully complete their safety checks, I have to wonder how you find the time to do your cleaning AND cross check your co-pilots own checks.

Reports of dirty aircraft with rubbish still in seat back pockets may not be commonplace, but with the crew doing the cleaning themselves and in short periods of time one would be foolish to suggest it doesn't happen several times in an operating day. Such aircraft have NOT been security checked and should not be permitted to depart.

On a minimum 35 minute turnaround my airline will have a team of at least six cleaners do a proper clean and security check while a minimum of four crew make sure that fire extinguishers, oxygen, stowages etc and all other safety eqpt are completely serviceable and secure before depature. How can three (sometimes four) people on a LCC do the same job as these ten and take ten minutes less without cutting corners?

The only additional thing for our lot is catering which involves a quick count, only if we have longer than 35 mins will anyone nip to the shop in the terminal.

I am sure though that my company will be hoping to follow suit with crew doing cleaning in this increasing competition, so rushed turnarounds and cutting corners will no doubt soon be the accepted norm by most people.