PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Internet location erratic.....
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2022, 19:55
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Internet location erratic.....

Does anyone know exactly how websites being accessed figure out where one is, this is on a wired in desktop computer not an out and about portable device?

The reason I ask is that the location detected is often wrong, sometimes very wrong. If I look at something on Ebay the advert often tells me that delivery to HP14.... will be on such and such a day. And sometimes it is closer to my RG10 location.

One day I used the AA traffic report/map page to check for issues before travelling from my home location, the AA map asked for permission to detect my location which I OK'd and the map scrolled across and zoomed in to Tilehurst some 8 or 9 miles away across the other side of Reading. I scrolled it back to my actual location and checked the traffic conditions in the area I was going to drive through. Not good news. I decided to delay my departure to see if it was going to get better along the route or worsen. A couple of hours later I refreshed the page and the map zoomed in to Goring! This is even further west and a few miles north of the previous wrong location.

If I use the AA maps service on a tablet tethered to my mobile phone it doesn't matter where I am it always homes into somewhere near to my RG10 home, even when I am 250 miles away in North Yorkshire, I suspect the tablet doesn't engage it's built in GPS but just reports my home location automatically from a previous fix.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Rans6................