PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 150 - RAAUS and experimental avionics
Old 13th Oct 2022, 05:30
Sbaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djpil
Good guff here!

A correction and a few comments:
FAA Form 337 is for a major change, supposed to be the equivalent level of engineering as an STC but applies to one SN (often copied to others). An IA there (somewhat similar to a LAME) can approve a minor change with an entry in the logbook only.

Part 21 rules here are very similar to those in the USA but implementation here is much more onerous for minor changes.

Owner produced parts are in our Part 21, some explanation in one of the ACs.

There is an STC for a higher maximum takeoff weight applicable to 152s.

See the AC on EFBs for CASA’s opinion on their rules regarding fitting an iPad to a yoke - it is a major design change.

I always heard of it as 337 field modification - thanks for the correction :-)

I'll have to check out Part 21, never knew this was an option here !

Yes - the little known STC for higher take-off weight in C152 is owned by the Royal Aero Club of WA, but covers C152 only - not C150 (even though the C150M is really a C152 with an O200 more or less)... Landing weight stays the same however. (I'll have to double check this) but I believe the only STC that gave the C150 a higher MTOW was one involving an O320 install.

Anything to do with control modifications / iPads CASA is very iffy.. That's where (like in the picture) there is room behind the yoke (on the panel) - after long considerations this was more or less the best option for the 150 so it would not block any instruments or outside visuals as well as not interfere with controls. (But still required an EO)... In a similar fashion - all those GoPro camera mounts people use - also require an EO... But not many are aware of this and put themselves at risk when uploading YouTube videos if it hasn't been done. (In Australia anyway, the FAA have much better things to do with their time).