PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Struggling with RTOs below V1
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2022, 11:45
twinotterifr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by john_tullamarine
I have always found it useful, at the start of endorsement failures, to do a few OEI runs up the runway starting at a relatively high VEF and reducing back to min V1 so that the pilot can get a good feel for the rudder and yaw responses as the speed slowly and steadily increases .. generally sees a rapid build in confidence and the steering problems reduce greatly.

When it comes to low speed failures, especially below V1 min, you are stopping, not going. Main problem is uncontrollable yaw, so that needs the throttles snapped closed without delay .. otherwise it's all over, Red Rover, in the blink of an eye.

Reading your posts, it sounds to me like you are concentrating on rudder in the manner of a continued takeoff. Try the following order - aim for throttles closed, real fast, then, as near simultaneously as you can manage with the throttles, hit the brakes and rudder. On a high bypass engine, the run down after you close the throttles will still give you a yaw but, the quicker you close the throttles, the less that is and the quicker you can control direction. If you are looking out, the runway will tell you which rudder - you just are trying to stay on the runway track - if you are looking in, the DG, or equivalent, will do the job - you are trying to maintain the heading, initially.

(B737) even with raw cadets, I could have them able to stay on the runway even in 0/0 conditions through to the stop. It's just practice, providing that you know what you are trying to achieve.

If you have a low speed failure and you concentrate on rudder to stay on the runway, it just doesn't work so the end is inevitable. Get rid of the thrust and most of your problems with go with it.

to maintain centerline

Not possible with any failure. You will always yaw to the dead engine and run off centreline. Vmcg is determined by this criterion, for example. This supports my contention that you have your action priorities wrong - that, probably comes down to your instructor's not briefing you (pre-sim) adequately.

Yeah, I had a right nightmare with V1 cuts in 125m (after V1)

A lot easier on the clocks than visual, I suggest ? I don't recall many cadets at a couple of hundred hours total, who couldn't do the reject/continue for manipulation skill training on the clocks. Looking out is far harder due to the short parallax cues due to the low vis.

Ask your instructor to demo it.

I'd tend to disagree. In my experience, a detailed briefing and a bit more time on practice for the pilot U/T is more productive. (Plus, it's always embarrassing for the instructor if he manages to screw up the demo).
Thank you very much for your in-depth explanation and advice regarding the exercise, all which you have said makes logical sense. I have been visualizing the maneuver and self practicing. I tried to find videos online as a further visual aid, albeit there is not many demonstrations in contrast to the popular after v1 RTO counterpart. Nevertheless, your instruction has given me more confidence and my aim now is to react quicker with the throttle cut and hopefully that would be half the battle extinguished already. My issue now is hoping that i am quick enough to apply the counter yaw in time. Many thanks.