PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Kerch Bridge Thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2022, 00:35
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Winemaker
It is a weak structure as the bridge deck spans are retained by gravity, not hard structure. The steel the bridge spans must have a mounting system to allow for thermal expansion and contraction which, with the hot summers and cold winters of the area, is substantial. For example, a 200 foot steel beam will expand about 2 inches with a temperature delta of 120° F (sorry about the imperial units). There are multiple bridge support systems to accomplish this, though from the photos I suspect the rocker and pin bearing system is used; as one can see, the span is held in place only by its own weight.

This seems susceptible to earthquake or explosive damage; its not surprising the spans fell. Joints would seem a good target for rocket attack.....
Yup, and they are apparent even on google earth.

Time for the bridge to end, along with the A-14, and the rail links. at the same time, by Ukraine this time, they have already been the victim of the terrorist in the Kremlin, and the bridge and road & rail infrastructure in Ukraine is Ukraines to deny from the terrorist organisation that the Kremlin is.

On related matters, I have been getting responses now from my email complaints to various Ministry of Foreign Affairs in relation to the application of the UN Charter, purported "Veto". The Charter is the controlling document, and the term "Veto" does not arise in the Charter. Try a word search of the Charter for the term "VETO"; It doesn't exist. Refer below, LH side...
Spoiler