PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Kerch Bridge Thread
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2022, 21:18
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by meleagertoo
It seems to me that one of the difficulties we have built into our high precision weapons mentality is losing the notion that although a surgical strike with a mere 300Kg charge will take out a nasty Ayatollah and his house it simply can't deal wth a bloody great bridge - to the extent that we've lost the ability to take out bloody great bridges at all.
We've seen that multiple strikes from tube artillery all making one meter holes at one end of a bridge merely leaves the bridge standing, damaged sure but probably still useable.

Busting bridges requires dropping entire spans, not making 1m holes in the road deck.

The first try on the Kerch bridge did just that. And having seen the extraordinary structure of the bridge no wonder a boat bomb took it out, for that is surely what was did the job.

Next trick; to get another similar charge under the other span. And then to see that the next flammable train burns properly and melts the railway too...

Vlad - Happy Birthday mate....

G0 Ukraine!
may well have been a boat bomb, but I contend the gratefully received photos of the structure indicate this bridge was designed to be dropped readily. The exact targeting for small charges is now public domain, many thanks Russia. They are able to be transposed onto the main structure and good coordinates for striking with much smaller warheads. This isn't Paul Doumer, this is a relatively weak structure with critical load points asking for a TB2 strike or 2.

If it was my football, I'd be packing up and going home, this bridge isn't going to guarantee supply to Crimea.