PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aus/NZ Positions
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2022, 01:57
neville_nobody

Received 151 Likes on 66 Posts
The problem is still those willing to accept substandard conditions just to fly planes, even more so to fly a jet. If you can't see the forest for the trees you will never be able to group up and get anywhere. Why are pilots starving in GA? Because they chose to, and in one day they can change that and do another job. If you don't understand that is purely a self centered ideal you are lost. The same push to become a pilot at all costs then means they take that ideal all the way through their career, this ruins it for pilots who want to just fly GA or regional turboprops as the operators continually have a stream of cheap labor "doing it for the love" or doing it "for the hours". Again if you don't understand this fundamental issue in Australian aviation then you are arguing at clouds. If pilots didn't use companies as experience building rungs and treated them as real jobs then they all would pay proper salaries. Oh, I'll work as an instructor to build hours, I've nop people skills and bugger all teaching knowledge but hey, I'll do it for next to free to get those hours.
I'm not sure what your argument actually is. If you think that by people hanging around in dead end jobs will drive wages up, the opposite in fact is true. If an owner knew someone is not going anywhere why would they spend any more on salary than they have to? Additional to this where is the money in GA coming from anyway?? There is a limit on the amount people will pay before they stop actually flying. If you paid flying instructors airline FO money then the market for flying training would be very small. Same with scenic flying or SE charter. If there are only 6 pax paying your salary over a small time frame then the revenue pool is very small

In your scenario I don't quite understand how the industry even works. If people are supposed to hang around in dead end jobs to jack up the salaries how do you then get into an airline or RFDS or jet charter etc? You could miss your opportunity to progress by hanging around in GA. You also forget that the Airline market could be influenced by international recruiting by the swipe of a pen in Canberra. To prove the point there was a time around the 2013s when airline recruiting came to a halt. Did the folks stuck in GA get massive pay rises then even though people spent years in the same job??

Last edited by neville_nobody; 10th Oct 2022 at 02:57.