PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Kerch Bridge Thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2022, 16:28
GeeRam

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by fdr
The images of the road spans from below are revealing, and thanks for whoever handed that over, as the Ukrainians have a nice heads up confirmation of the structure, and where to whup it next time. I'm pretty sure that the civil engineers out there and those that have a good FEA analysis can confirm what the new coordinates for plinking is going to be. The Ruffians Russians would be better off leaving it as it is, there will be less damage to the bridge in the long run, and there would be lower tariffs for the bridge when Ruffians Russians want to holiday in a civilized country, assuming that Russian passports are ever again accepted anywhere outside of North Korea.

paradoxically, the underside images suggest the opposite to me, that the underside was protected from the blast. Interesting pictures though.
I now agree, all the soot and charred area on the deck on those overhead photo's are quite telling, with nothing underneath.
As an old Structural Engineer I was convinced that it had to be from below to lift those decks, no deck level blast would or should lift those deck spans......until I saw those underneath photo's!
No wonder they managed to build this in just 4 years looking at that design.......never seen a bridge deck span design done like that..! Its certainly, err......different.....you wouldn't see a design like that in the western world. Maybe it was the truck, and the spans did just lift off sideways in the blast!!