PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2022, 09:44
raiden747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone,

After skimming this thread, I thought I'd reach out for some advice regarding my intention towards a RAAF OA role (fast-jet specifically). Thank you to previous contributors, I've learnt a lot already!

I'm currently 30, and I work as a physio. I am hoping someone could give me some insight as to whether my age, social history, or any medical factors would be a firm barrier against my chances.

My social background is that I do not have a mother (her loss put a strain on the family) and have very much had to be the leader of my family over the last decade, which is what led me towards being a physio, as I could be close and support everyone whilst chasing an ambitious career. My intention is to be honest with this during OSB/ psych examination (if I get there), I have absolutely no idea if my situation would be flagged as a concern, or a case of emphasising my ability to navigate hardship/ challenges as I pretty much led my family into now having a very healthy dynamic.

I do believe these social factors have accelerated me towards being ticking the boxes for having the personality traits that ADF seem to express as their selection criteria. Definitely function well under pressure, am adaptable, and have a reflective approach to learning/ work ethic.

Medically, self-assessed with a Snelling chart, I apparently have 20/20 vision, never had issues. Went to an optometrist and they advised I was just below 20/20, which is correctable to 20/20. Also have noticed an asymptomatic potentially varicose vein as well. Are they a hard no on any vision below 20/20?
I should also note, I have never been diagnosed with any mental health issues from the above circumstances, so a clean record in that regard.

At the moment I'm applying the knowledge I have with my profession to get my body as fit as possible, have been training 8-10 times a week with a battery of exercises whilst committing 2 hours of study daily on top of work, to prepare for an application.

Just wanting to set my expectations, any feedback or advice would be appreciated I will apply regardless as I believe working towards this goal will make me a better person anyway.