PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Kerch Bridge Thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2022, 03:04
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Redlands
I would agree, the blast occurring as the truck passed the next support along from the one circled.
Originally Posted by Sue Vêtements
The red circle thing is just a wave
The truck driver of the one that is in the explosion is still alive, and says he had no idea of what was in his load. I would suspect that if he is talking about it, then an explosion large enough to blow mulitple deck sections off their bearings would make it hard for him to talk without an ouji board. CORRECTION: The owner of the truck has been interviewed, his uncle was driving the truck, and has been rather quiet since the event.

That "wave" looks split by a stem, and for the video before hand, there is no similar "wave" which suggests it is not a "wave". Whether the boat is the cause of the explosion, I concur that the main blast appears to be in the channel next over from where the ? "Wave" is. If so, then it was an unfortunate experience for the boat in that channel, much like the truck driver with the ouji board.

Was the blast from above or below the deck? if below deck, it is either from the piles, and then it would reasonably expected that major damage would occur to the piles, no photos yet suggest that occurred. That would be from sabotage, or, of course a cigarette problem with prepared self destruct mechanisms.... which would be an own goal. If from below and not from a pile, it is from a..... boat/mine torpedo, take your pick. It is shallow water, most of those have issues.

What is not in question is the importance of Kerch is reinforced in the Russian's minds, and the bridge is at risk at this time, as it has been for a while. Necessity being the mother of invention, there are numerous ways to range the bridge, it is essentially untenable to have a presence in Crimea predicated on a ready target-able asset. The main take home from this is that the design of the bridge was sensitive to blast. That gives specific aiming points to target on the decks for the smaller payload munitions. The railway shows that it is not happy with a flammable load that gets a match anywhere near by. How long until the timing of train crossings gives good intel on putting drone missiles into the trains. Overall, it is a prime target and that is a problem to trying to hold the illegally annexed territory of Crimea.

Last edited by fdr; 9th Oct 2022 at 03:24. Reason: Correction