PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aus/NZ Positions
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2022, 00:03
das Uber Soldat

Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches
And this is the self centered attitude I'm talking about, in a country where you could go dig a hole for $100k a year, you persist at a sub conditions job just because YOU want to. That degrades the conditions for all, if youa re not making it in aviation do something else for a few years, make some money, don't take substandard conditions just because you will do anything to fly a plane.
Just when I thought the arrogance couldn't possibly increase, you demand that young pilots literally give up their careers to protect YOUR pay conditions. And then you have the unbelievable gall to write

"Again it shows a self centered attitude"

What on earth is more self centered than that?!

Pathetic.

There is no seniority in GA that I'm aware of, so market your skills all you want, no one is going to pay you more than the next guy for the jobs out there. I spent a lot of time in GA and ended up being paid an ok salary for GA work, but it involved working a lot harder than an airline FO so I moved on, a few places did ask how much it would take to make me stay, and I told them honestly what I was worth and they just said no, or offered a couple of grand more which was nowhere near enough, so I moved on.
Pig ****. I spent 10 years in GA, and did exactly that. I marketed my labor. If I found another operator paying more, I moved to it. That's how I improved my wage, and the fact people would leave for greener pastures meant the operators HAD to increase wages in order to retain people. As I've been banging on about, the ability of a labor group to participate in the market provides upward pressure on wages. You think locking people in and preventing them from leaving somehow motivates the employer to hand them more. Take a bow.

It doesn't but what you are saying is that you want to market your skills, which in the airline world means they will move to contract based pay rather than EBA. That's just how the business world works.
If there is one thing you've demonstrated absolutely no understanding of, its the business world. We don't need a contract model to scrap seniority. If I could move from a JQ FO to a Qantas FO, I don't need to be on a contract for that to be beneficial to me. I would be bound by the EBA, same as everyone else.

Depends on the role, you are only talking about line positions, just about any other role in airlines you can apply for and get in outside of seniority. In any case if you start hiring over the top of qualified FO/Captains you remove job security and more than likely you will get your paid position but be resented by those under you that you displaced by rank and possibly even baseings. If you like to be paid more but hated by those you fly with go for it, I've seen it happen it's not pretty. It's even happening now in some companies where FO's are almost Cpt ready but are hired over the top of because they are not ready right now, it's not pretty.
Strugglers trying to justify their positions. I know mate, I know.