PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aus/NZ Positions
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2022, 21:58
das Uber Soldat

Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches
Unfortunately its supply and demand, J* and VA got away with pay for your own endorsements because of pilots who wanted to fly jets no matter what. Seriously you had other choices.
Is that a fact. Tell me all about these 'other choices' that provide me with +200k per year and the long term stability to build a career that will see me out?

These same pilots who only think of themselves
Yeh, these self centered assholes, can you believe they don't just rot in GA on foodstamps so that you can buy a second boat? The nerve!

because of no job security provision like seniority you may just be face with either accepting the much lower T & C or be training your replacements while you look for other work. A mate in IT went through this a few years ago at a bank.
Nonsense, and demonstrates another tried and true pilot quality, financial illiteracy. Removing the ability of a labor group to actually participate in the market can never have an upward effect on wages. You cannot take an offer from a competing firm that offers a better package if you're forced to start in the mailroom each time.

At least with current provisions and seniority a pilot workforce can at least maintain some sort of stability as pilots progress and those at the top who have given time to negotiate those conditions can continue to enjoy them while the newcomers agree to work on less, for whatever reason they see fit. I mean I see the problem straight away when you say those in the top seniority are lazy, no they are not they are reaping the rewards they fought for.
Like I said, a system pushed by the strugglers to keep their jobs.

Not sure how you would get onto top pay from the start without seniority, that makes no sense.
To you perhaps. Without seniority, if another airline is offering a better package, I can apply and transition into the same role in the new entity, on that better pay immediately. With seniority, I go from my current role and rank, to the lowest position and pay at the new entity, which is almost certainly going to be lower, not higher than what I make now. In nearly every airline in the country, people stay put once they're in. The movement between the companies is extremely low, because of precisely this reason. As a result, the management know that you're never going to leave, so they can feed you a **** sandwich and you're gonna take it, because ultimate its more than you'd make if you started again somewhere else, for years. Maybe ever.

And you do see the issue that the next guy is going to offer to do your job for less, there will be no EBA they will just offer contracts, like most other professional jobs. Airlines can already hire into command positions if they are short on EBA requirements outside of seniority if there are no internals to do it. Good luck negotiating contracts when you have no idea what the other pilots are offering. Hmm you turn up to job interview, see what is on offer, oh that's crud, well that's because several pilots with more jet experience than you have applied, they are willing to work for half your contract cause its more than they get paid at X airline, but want to live in Australia. Then you will see airline wages collapse in Australia
Why does the removal of seniority also remove EBAs?

I mean you could probably apply to Rex or Link and get a DEC on the SAAB right now, promoted to trainer/checker in short time and so on as the regional are so short. But no, the truth is most want seniority gone so that they can undercut the upper echelons to fast track to the jet LH seat. Its still the same mentality of the entry level. Any outfit that respecst skill and experience will hire you into the position they need you for. Airlines dont' need super pilots, they just need ok seat warmers so vast experience will not grant you some sort of huge wage increase, only negotiation of the entire group.
I don't give a rat **** about the LH seat of a jet. I'd fly a 172 if the pay and career options were good enough. I want seniority gone so I can actually market my labor, no different to how any professional/executive progresses their career. Instead, I'm locked into one company for my career and have to effectively take what I'm given, with very little control.

All you have to do is have been involved in airline level training to know its not the best and brightest out there, just an average cut of able bodied humans.
Oh you don't need to convince me that I'm not dealing with the best and brightest.