PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JP Low Level Sqn at Finningley
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2022, 12:32
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 435 Likes on 229 Posts
Similar situation when the RAF OCU I worked on became short of airframes. Our Sqn boss decided that to make best use of what we had, to catch up with the course backlog, there would henceforth be an early shift and a late shift.

Almost immediately we all ended up working both shifts! To make it even better we worked weekends, too. If we worked over a full weekend we got just a single day off in the week instead, or sometimes not at all.

After an AOCs visit myself and a colleague were called into the Boss’s office to explain why we hadn’t taken all of our leave. I hadn’t taken any at all for 18 months (it had been noted by the AOCs team that some of us hadn’t taken our full leave entitlement for some time and he’d obviously had his ear bent). I reminded him that he had personally refused my last three leave pass applications over that period (much to the chagrin of my wife). Still, it didn’t do his career much harm because he subsequently went on to gain air rank. I eventually chose family integrity over my career and chucked it in at my 38 point.

Last edited by ShyTorque; 5th Oct 2022 at 17:21. Reason: Grammar!