PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - America's new 2000lb "quicksink" bomb
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2022, 23:44
golder

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fltlt
Way back when, I was involved in the testing to determine why the guided munitions were falling short on moving targets in theater. Spent time at Fallon on the range, with two F 18’s circling overhead, then trying to hit an autonomous Nissan Sentra performing a long run along the wreck runway, with a turn at each end.
Video and stills have been on the web for a number of years. Kairos Autonomi is the old company website (nothing to do with me personally) then click on media, scroll down, you will see one of my favorite photos, an LGTR, 5 ft above the ground, behind the target.
There are a couple of videos of it as well.
Thanks for sharing laser guided weapon.. I went to the website
Kairos Autonomi: Multimedia - Existing Vehicle Autonomy for Unmanned Ground Vehicles

This is the sensor for the quicksink
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...tails-revealed
AFRL has now confirmed that the Quicksink seeker, the model of which is seen below, is a dual-mode system that combines a radar seeker with an imaging infrared (IIR) camera

The combination of the new multi-mode seeker and the JDAM tail kit turns the bomb into an all-weather anti-ship weapon. When employed, the weapon uses the tail kit to first glide to the general target area, using coordinates inputted prior to launch from the launch aircraft via onboard sensors or from an off-board sensing platform. Once it approaches the target area, the weapon then shifts to the Quicksink seeker to locate the target ship and determine its speed and heading. The use of an independent seeker system means that weapon could potentially still lock onto the target if it appears within the envelope of the radar and IIR camera, even in a GPS-degraded environment that imposes limits on the initial cueing.

Last edited by golder; 5th Oct 2022 at 00:28.