PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2022, 19:38
TCAS FAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stewyb
I thought the original plan was for a tunnel under the extension joining up the NE corner, however this was never in the planning application and would surely be too prohibitive/expensive once the runway extension is laid down. I still remain to be convinced if this part of the airport will ever be developed upon. Whispers building works are starting later this month
Stewyb

I had missed the Master Plan. Post subsequently edited after I found it.

AGS Airports (ie SOU owners) behind the project. They are going to need very deep pockets to get this development going!

As I note in my edited post, the intent is to put the access road in a cutting. It does not however indicate how the access road links up with the current highway infrastructure.

When Bl***y Awful Airports Plc bought the land they apparently thought it would be a very lucrative investment. At the time a new SE bypass for Eastleigh, between Bishopstoke Road and Southampton Road, was being planned. This was intended to provide the necessary access. However, this was dropped when it was realized that the cost was prohibitive due to a need for multiple river crossing bridges.