PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2022, 19:22
stewyb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TCAS FAN
An interesting quote from the Echo article:

"Speaking at the Business South conference in Southampton, he (ie the Airport Ops Director) said more attention would shift to the Navigator Quarter – the land to the east and north of the airport that is earmarked for businesses as part of the Solent Freeport."

One question, how is it going to be accessed by road? Without the runway extension maybe, with the runway extension it's going to be an expensive proposition unless the owners of the rail yard are onboard and willing to donate land. Even then I doubt that the current road infrastructure (ie thorough the airport main entrance) could support multiple articulated lorries 24/7.

An alternative, access via the airport east side and creation of the the missing M27 Jct 6?

Is there a Master Plan that I have missed?
I thought the original plan was for a tunnel under the extension joining up the NE corner, however this was never in the planning application and would surely be too prohibitive/expensive once the runway extension is laid down. I still remain to be convinced if this part of the airport will ever be developed upon. Whispers building works are starting later this month

Last edited by stewyb; 5th Oct 2022 at 10:17.