PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 07:29
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
SASless

I have re-read the USNI article and agree that the idea has merit - although it does not remove the need for ASW helicopters. I am slightly confused by the reference to toxic fuel since as far as I know all air dropped torpedoes are electrically powered. I also note that none of the authors has a background in ASW helicopters or the Orion/Poseidon. I wonder if the proposed system could be fitted to the F-35B?

There is a need to augment and expand ASW capabilities. The UK is looking into using an uncrewed helicopter to drop sonobouys. It sounds like it might be used to augment the Merlin HM2, but a manned helicopter is needed to use dipping sonar, and you need dipping sonar to exploit the potential of the low frequency active sonar towed arrays fitted to ASW frigates, which is why the 2087 equipped Type 23s are equipped to carry and support Merlin.

In reply to your question about how large an area, I think it is worth considering the definition offered by the US Navy in the late 1970s as "The ability to exert air, submarine, and surface control temporarily in an area while moving ships into position to project power ashore or to resupply overseas forces.

This might interest you: Largest And Most Expensive Aircraft Carrier Ever: USS Ford Ready For ‘Duty’ - 1945

The Navy has also described the cruise as a “service-retained deployment,” while the carrier strike group’s command and control are under U.S. 2nd Fleet commander Vice Adm. Daniel Dwyer. During this time, the carrier will take part in joint exercises with NATO allies including France and Germany, as well as the likely future NATO member Sweden. These will include anti-submarine warfare (ASW) and other drills that test the readiness of the carrier, and its ability to work alongside partner naval vessels.

Meanwhile the USS Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike group is participating in an ASW exercise with South Korea and Japan.

A56

Ukraine is a unique case - as every country is. A non NATO member with a large land border with an aggressive neighbour, and a coast on the Black Sea which the Russians can dominate or deny and with political complications like the Montreux Convention.

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 3rd Oct 2022 at 08:31.