PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA009 Jakarta incident 24 June 1982
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 03:52
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by ONE GREEN AND HOPING
Many of us will recall the occasion when the BA 747-200 operating KUL PER lost all four engines when flying through high level contamination from the eruption of Mt Gulunggung not far to the East of Jakarta. Have just watched what to self is this recent quite well informed recent clip on Youtube. As with all articles I have read previously on this incident, I have seen no mention of 'Notams', and why no consideration as to changing the routing was given on this occasion. I used to be familiar with operating on this and other routes in the area over many years, and 'Notams' issued along with Met briefings tended to headline current volcanic action since Indonesia is riddled with them. Is it possible that this high level micro silicon infused dust cloud was not expected? Maybe someone here knows what I'm missing....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYwN1R8hVsI
Mount Galunggung did not have a NOTAM or IVOL issued as far as I am aware, that became a matter of some urgency thereafter. A month later, a Singapore Airlines B747 lost 3 out of 4 engines from further eruption of the same stratovolcano.

There was no official report on this event issued by the AAIB, and the KNKT/NTSC doesn't show a report on the incident. KLM 867, a B744 had all 4 shut down over Alaska in 1989, and did an emergency recovery to PANC.