PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ahhhh Austerrrrrrrrrr (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2004, 07:00
Vick Van Guard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Grob Driver

All AOP 9's are on CAA permits. They have to be renewed every year, so the CAA gets three cheques instead of one!

The reason why they are on Permits rather than a full C of A is because they never gained civilian type approval as they were designed purely for the military. Generally speaking if a type is ex military it will get a permit, unless the type has previously appeared on the reg with a C of A.

In theory you could apply for type approval for the AOP 9. But one there would not be much point and two it would be horrifically expensive.

I think the AOP 9 is maintained on LAMs but that’s just a guess, as it might be on a approved ex military schedule.
Be aware that the Permit will place certain restrictions on the operation of the aircraft, and in the case of the AOP 9 you are not allowed to fly over built up areas or at night.

The engine (Bombardier) is 'on-condition' so no fixed overhaul life, providing compressions remain good it can carry on in service. I would think you are looking at 8 to 10 galls an hour though.
Another thing to bare in mind is there is no electric starter fitted, so it's a hand swing job, not unless you have a stash of cartridges somewhere and are brave enough to use them

I was looking at getting one a while back, but most of the owners I spoke to wanted to hang on to them. Of the thirteen on the reg, there are only about 5 or 6 flying and one of those belongs to the Army.

I gave up in the end and bought a J5/F instead.

Having said that I did no of a 'potential share' in one based in the East Midlands. PM me if you are interested, and I will pass the details on to you. Or if you are Tollerton way next Monday drop in as I will be in the hangar putting G-AMTA back together (had a bit of a fuel leak)