PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened?
Thread: What happened?
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2022, 10:40
Sbaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 172heavy
Some valid points, however, I would argue the financial stress of the owner/owners and knowledge of business should not be a concern to the employee pilot, if they wanted that stress they'd start their own business or be in management.

And, yes I definitely know someone willing to start a 540 in that situation. It doesn't matter when daddy is paying for the engines 👍

Absolutely! The pilot having the job to worry about, and the unique stresses of GA operations, as well as life in general are usually enough to fill any young CPL pilots plate.. Of course they shouldn't have to worry about the other stuff such as business, but it should always be considered.

Well I am glad I don't know anyone who would start an engine in those circumstances - if there's one thing working in multiple industries has taught me, there's bad apples everywhere, but don't let that define everyone and paint 'all' with the same brush, such as NT ops which carry their own unique challenges such as the heat (which no doubt makes a long day seem much longer, and tiring)... Unfortunately there isn't much in the fatigue rules about temperature... I guess all the hobnobs who wrote it think all aircraft have air conditioning... I absolutely understand how on a 45+ Celcius day from dawn to dusk non-stop and pumping your own avgas feels...... And guess what - skydiving being private ops, there was "no limit" to hours... And "no job" if you had to stop...

Anyway, this is something the construction industry worked out a while ago, where if it's above 35 degrees for example certain provisions are made for breaks / shade / hydration / rotate workers etc...

It would be nice if aviation had the maturity to recognise some of these aspects, and realise that people are human beings - not machines.

I have not worked for the operator that is insinuated here, so do not know the particulars... But the aircraft always looked like they were well maintained when we would fly into JAB, which would be of a far, far bigger concern to me with GA ops... I am sure that is something we can all agree on... So im sure it's not all bad, I am sure there's some good aspects too.