PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2022, 05:24
dr dre

Received 360 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by ResumeOwnNav
It takes 3 hours to turn the 747, that would mean 9 hours in just turn time for a 4 leg day... That fails the pub test.

There are no days longer than 2 sectors on the 74.

FAA mandates 32 hours of rest within 7 days. Usually get 3 x 32/7's inside 14 days. These can happen at any port. Most layovers are 24-30 hours.

17 days on will usually be 13 flights. No 3+ days...

Most ops are 4 crew, a few 3 crew legs and even less 2 crew.

Expect 1-3 landings a month.

I have a number of good mates at Giant.
There is a sample pattern document going around. Whilst not all duties were multi leg a few were, and they were quite short ones (I remember one that bounced around several airports in Japan and Korea on one TOD) so not much flight time but plenty of sectors to fit in one augmented TOD.

3x 32hrs rest breaks within 14 days isn’t much. Definitely less than what you’d get in a typical pattern in mainline. No more than 24-30 hr layovers in 17 days will build up to the point of exhaustion by the end of a trip. I think that was the biggest stand out, as well as continual switching between days and nights with 24hrs off, which will have a greater effect on fatigue than a roster of pure night shifts.

For comparison when the mainline 744 was around 13 day ‘double shuttle’ trips would be common. That was 6 legs in 13, no multi sector, always augmented and least two rest periods of at least 48hrs (sometimes 60+hrs) in those trips. And by the end of those pilots generally remarked that was more than enough. My own look at the Atlas rosters saw that happening about halfway through a typical 17 day trip.

Of course there may be some who can manage that workload successfully, and good for them, but it is definitely more fatigue inducing than the worst mainline trip I can think of, and now those trips don’t even exist anymore.

Last edited by dr dre; 1st Oct 2022 at 05:56.