PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2022, 15:42
Lonewolf_50

Received 425 Likes on 267 Posts
Some Aviation Content from pasta and ORAC, originally posted at JB. This was related to "How does one know what caused the pipeline damage to Nordstreams?".
Originally Posted by pasta
There are a few states that are likely to have that capability, but I'd be amazed if Ukraine was one of them; even if it did, how would it get the appropriate asset all the way to the Baltic undetected? I saw some twitter posts suggesting the US had ASW assets in the area; I'm guessing they know exactly who's responsible.
While they may have gotten some evidence pointing in a given direction, shallow water ASW is a bit tricky.
Originally Posted by ORAC
Too deep for scuba, no dive support vessels for deep divers in the area. Too shallow for submarines. Which leaves UUVs. The only navy in the area which possesses UUV with the capability, and practices it, is Russia. The USA and others do, but they don’t have the assets in the Baltic. The USN had ASW helicopters searching the area a couple of days ago so presumably had detected something - I doubt they were attracting attention to any of their own assets.