PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New RAF Uniforms
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2022, 10:30
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MPN11
TTN … as we were of the same date and place … No. 2 BD was not part of the package, so it was No. 1 HD all the time until you bankrupted yourself replacing it! Fortunately I went to FEAF just in time! I was given one of those V-Force BD jackets, but was told after a week or so to stop wearing it as I was “not entitled .Back to wearing our my No. 1, then … thanks!

BTW, my Initial Allowance went on a car, so I was paying the tailors by instalments for a couple more years! The car was £115!
I think I was advised get myself a No 2 as I was going into the Regiment and it would be more practical than a No 1 in daily use, I remember a "chopped "pilot turning up to join the Regiment course, and he had acquired one of those V Force BD jackets. He wore it on the first day, but he was sent back to the mess at lunchtime and told to come back correctly dressed after lunch!

Re gaiters/puttees, our course Flight Sergeant instructor was clear on the matter. "They are anklets gentlemen. Bleedin' bishops wear bleedin' gaiters!" We did wear puttees when in combat gear, and most of us bought a pair of Fox's officers' puttees, which were of a smooth fawn material rather than the rough, brown material which the airmen wore.

As I asked before, do officers still buy their own uniforms, or is it all on issue now? I think Moss Bros are still trading,but are Alkit, Gieves, R.E.City etc still around?