PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF to deploy to civvy airports
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2022, 19:50
OJ 72

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by The Helpful Stacker
Funnily enough there is a certain combination number that was very common within the RAF (with those 5 digit door locks that seem to be used everywhere) that is also very commonly used in the NHS.

It's always worth a punt.
When I first started on 72 Sqn when I was dropping my flying kit off with the Squippers for acceptance and any additional servicing, my Dad (a joiner with absolutely no aviation knowledge) came with me to give me a hand!

I had been at the Sqn a few days before to complete the joining procedures so I knew that the combination for the main entrance was, as ‘The Helpful Stacker’ stated ***. Strangely enough, this was the same combination at nearly every flying station that I had been at!

As I was unloading the second part of the kit, my old man went on ahead, tapped in ***, and opened the door! ‘How the ‘flip’ did you do that?!? His reply, *** is the factory setting! He had fitted enough of them in his day to know that the factory code was rarely changed!

In my, and undoubtedly other aircrew’s naïveté, we all thought that *** had been selected as it was a ‘well remembered and useful’ radio frequency!!! Obviously not!!!