PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Come ?
Thread: How Come ?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2004, 03:14
Big Pistons Forever

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts
Guys

1. re Nav lights. I assumed that the / between beacon and nav light would be interepreted as "and or". Because at night both the Nav lights as well as the beacon should be on prior to start. During the day just the beacon would be appropriate. I guess I should have been more specific, mea culpla.

2. The contention that a small aircraft electrical sytem cannot handle the use of lights on the ground is IMO total crap. I use the exact same sytem on my personal airplane ( a Grumman American AA1B) as I do on my working ride ,( a CONVAIR 580 ). The only high draw item is the landing light and that is not an issue as turning them on is the last item before added full power in which case there will be plenty of juice. The reason for turning the landing light on is that it is a double acknolgement to ATC and other aircraft that you are about to take off and as a secondary benefit makes you more visible for aircraft joining the circuit. In my case it saved my bacon when at a uncontrolled aircraft an aircraft with a poor radio was lined up on final for the reciprical runway. He saw me when I turned on my light. I did not see him untill he started to turn away. ( He had no lights on BTW )

3. I do not agree with the contention that the standard use of light is just for airliners. I see no reason why students cannot be taught and apply what is a virtually the universal world airline/ large aircraft SOP. Why would it be wrong to teach good airmanship at the beginning? While we are on the subject of good airmanship, why do the majority of light plane pilots have no idea of light discipline when taxing at night , particularly when to use white strobes and taxi lights ?